Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Six-Man Football

Headed out to Oakwood today on my tour of two-a-day practices in the area and got my first taste of what six-man football is all about. And it has a lot different feel than what I am used to seeing on the football field.
But before I get to that, let me say how nice and courteous the young men at Oakwood were to me. I have the opportunity to sit down and talk to the five seniors on the Panther team and afterwards they thanked me for coming out. Class acts all the way.
As for the six-man football part, I am not sure how to explain it. A mix of the good old days when playing football on the street combined with 7-on-7 football and the a whole lot of hard hitting.
With only six men on both sides of the ball, it makes for an interesting strategy. Watching Oakwood practice, when the offense was on the field, all six players took up an area of a 5 yard by 5 yard box. Oakwood also did some other things in practice, but don't want to give any secrets away since the coaches were kind enough to let me stand around and watch for more than an hour.
I know Oakwood lost two of its top players from last year, but after Tuesday I don't think that will matter much this season. I can tell that the returning players have a great understanding of six-man football and this year the Panthers should make a push for one of the playoff spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment